Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chicken

Two posts in one day aren't you lucky? 

Did I tell you that last Thursday I got to hear the baby's heart beat?  The doctor said the heartbeat is about 160 which is good and healthy.  I would post the recording on here but I can't figure out how to get it from my stupid smart phone to  my computer.  I know I need help.

Last night while making dinner, cheese tortellini spinach bake, chicken and corn I couldn't find the can opener.  I was getting very stressed about this because the chicken was almost done and I couldn't open the corn so something was not going to be hot when dinner was done, I hate when this happens.  So I made my husband come help me look, I had it just a short ten minutes ago because I had to open the dog food. He came up to help me look we again looked in the garbage, in the fridge, in the drawer they are usually in, through the clean dishes I had just washed.  He then took an old camping style opener and opened the corn for me.  All the while I am telling him that I couldn't have lost them because I just had them so I could feed the dog. When he gets done being my hero he walks over to the dog drawer (where his treats and food that he can no longer eat) is stored and low and behold there is the can opener.  Oh boy, I totally blame this on my pregnancy brain!

Last night I made chicken using the pressure cooker, this is the first time I have made a meat that was not included in a meal like Stroganoff (delicious), chicken with peaches, meatballs with sauce.  So I was a little worried it wouldn't would work out.  I can't seem to make chicken on the stove top with out drying out the chicken no matter what I do it is dry when done. Like most people I hate eating dry chicken! So I figured I would try the pressure cooker.  I seasoned the chicken like normal added the chicken and 1/2 cup water to the pressure cooker placed it on high and set it for 10 minutes (because the chicken and peaches I cooked last week had to cook for 10 min). Let me tell you I love chicken in the pressure cooker! A few things I learned is that the seasoning needs to be a little heavier especially with the salt and pepper.  The chicken is cooked in water, it is not fully submerged but maybe a fourth of the chicken is in the water, which did make some of the seasoning come off in the water or steam.  The chicken was very tender, I was able to put it in turn it on and do the dishes while it was cooking, it is great not having to check on the chicken, turn the chicken and getting frustrated in the end because the chicken is dry.

Yesterday morning we woke up to a very sick dog, the poor dog is already sick with diabetes and being blind.  He had been urinating in the house again and yesterday when trying to get him off the bed his whole backside couldn't move.  He tried to get up a few times but couldn't manage to pull himself or stand.  Which is weird because 15 minutes earlier the dog had jumped up on the bed and was just fine. I took him into the vet yesterday morning.  Come to find out the poor thing is in kidney failure, and his glucose was over the roof (571).  So we are trying a new diet, flushing out the kidney's and hoping we can stabilize him so he can stay around for a little bit longer.  After the vet he seemed to be doing much better walking around, had some spark in him, finally eating again after nothing for over a day and stopped throwing up.  We had a very scary morning, hopefully one we don't have repeat again especially anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment